Monday, April 5, 2010

Sincerest Apologies

Wow....I feel quite terrible about having deserted this project for so long. I figured it out, though--the timing coincides with one of two things: I started hanging out with Andrew (my boyfriend), and I also started working a shift I'm not too fond of. I'd like to think that my lack of inspiration comes from the fact that I'm so bone-tired after dealing with this shift that I'm too tired to write, but it could very well be that I'm just distracted by Andrew.

Regardless, I'll do my best to catch up--now that I'm practically a month behind :P I'm writing this on the spot at the library, so it may not be the absolute best, and there won't be a word count or anything, but I hope you enjoy it!


3/10/10

Prompt: "He drank the scotch like it was an old friend..." (NaNo)

He drank the scotch like it was an old friend.

The amber liquid pooled in the glass, almost glowing in the dim light. Nathan hunched over it, his hands wrapping around the cool glass protectively. Raising it slowly to his lips, he drank the scotch like it was an old friend, a friend providing much needed comfort after a long day. Nathan hadn't always been such close friends with Scotch, but now, after all that had happened, one tumbler of the potent liquor had become a nightly routine. He was careful, knowing that if he made a habit of more than one, it would quickly escalate into something more dangerous, more uncontrollable.

He sighed, holding the cool glass against his forehead, trying to soothe the throbbing ache that had settled there sometime around noon. Today had been hard. The two court cases he was working on were both bogged down by beauracratic bullshit, and there was no way he'd be able to come to a settlement. One of them was pro bono, and that was the one he was most worried about. If he didn't find a way to win the trial soon, then a young mother would lose custody of her child, lose it to her suave, sophisticated asshole of an ex-husband.

With another sigh, he tossed back the remains of the scotch and set the glass down on the bar. He set the money down, and grabbed his jacket, making his way out onto the street. The night was clear and chilly, but not too cold. He could see the stars twinkling overhead, a rare occurence in the city. Slowly, he began walking towards his apartment, deliberately calming his thoughts so he could puzzle his way through the two cases. And that's all they were: puzzles. Once he figured out the puzzle, he could win the case. All he had to do was put the pieces together, that was it. He knew he would, knew he could, he just needed to figure out how. Something cool touched his cheek and he looked up. Several clouds had stolen over the sky, and a light dusting of snow was beginning to fall. He smiled at the serenity of it all, and calmly walked up the stairs to his apartment. It would all be figured out soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment